What more is there to say except, possibly: Ahmen, Mr Scalzi
- Reader Request Week 2013 #9: Women and Geekdom (whatever.scalzi.com)
- Connecting the dots towards a Geek Anthropology (thegeekanthropologist.com)
- Earth Station One Episode 150 – The State of Geekdom 2013 (erthstationone.wordpress.com)
- Reader Request Week 2013 #9: Women and Geekdom (geekgrrl77.wordpress.com)
- Reader Request Week 2013 Recap (whatever.scalzi.com)
In e-mail, Brian asks:
Women in Geekdom. Why is this all exploding now? Where is it going?
I am assuming Brian means women in geek-related fields taking a stand against the both latent and overt sexism in those fields and having to deal with outsized, histrionic freakouts some geek dudes are having about it in response.
What’s happening? To explain, let me go to one of my favorite little bits in the film The American President, which I think these days is best known as writer Aaron Sorkin’s rough draft of The West Wing. The scene has President Andrew Shepherd navigating his way through a Christmas party at the White House and coming across a florid, very concerned man in a green jacket:
INT. RESIDENCE - NIGHT An informal Christmas party is underway with maybe 20 GUESTS, some of them familiar faces. SHEPHERD and a GREEN-BLAZERED MAN GREEN…
View original post 1,251 more words