I don’t use it. I find it even more useless than Facebook … which is saying something since Facebook’s psychotic algorithms for deciding what to actually show you in your feed (because the things that you’ve followed can’t possibly be the answer to such a nuanced and complicated question) drive me insane usually.
I’ve got a private, personal Facebook. It’s for cat pictures and the like. Twitter wasn’t even that useful. I don’t have a personal Twitter, and as of this morning I’ve quit having a professional one. That’s that much less SPAM in my email, that many fewer notifications for which I give less than no damns about showing up on my phone, and that many fewer potential security holes in my personal data.
I’m not sorry to have got rid of it. I’m sure none of you were all that ardently following me on social media, and it seemed silly to “keep a social media presence” when I don’t use social media, do not follow social media … noticing a pattern here? Seriously, if the iOS News app thingy had an option for “funny things George Takei has shared”, I’d have virtually no excuse to have a private Facebook; the remaining reasons being that’s where my high school reunion is usually planned and some family event things tend to get announced.
Tumblr may be next on the list, but as it’s sort of a blogging platform more than it’s a social media platform I am more inclined to keep it – makes a somewhat handy mirror of my blog … until I recall that it only posts excerpts with a link back to here … okay Tumblr may go some time soon too. Who knows, I usually forget I have it and am not 100% sure I even know the password anymore so it’s obviously far less intrusive and obnoxious so can stay just because it’s forgettable.
- Facebook, Twitter cut off data access for Geofeedia, a social media surveillance startup (techcrunch.com)
- 9 Anna Kendrick Tweets That We All Can Relate To (yahoo.com)
- Facebook is greeting some international users with the weather. But in Fahrenheit. (mashable.com)
- More than a quarter of Canadians are subjected to harassment on social media, new poll finds (news.nationalpost.com)
- George Takei Reacts to Various Things in a Promo for The Late Show With Stephen Colbert (laughingsquid.com)